{decorating with style} What is the One Room Challenge?

Welcome October! I love fall, though I am always sad to see the summer end. This year the summer was particularly busy - between attending my first ever Haven Conference in July, two family weddings in August, and a trip to South Africa in September. I was looking forward to life slowing down a bit this fall, but then I decided that slow is overrated... That's why I am once again joining the One Room Challenge, which means that in just six weeks time I'll be making over one room of our house, from start to finish!

You'll be hearing me talk a lot about the One Room Challenge this month {or the ORC, as the cool kids call it}, so I thought I'd take a few minutes today to fill you in on what it's all about.

The ORC is an awesome blogging event hosted by Linda, from Calling it Home. There are twenty amazingly talented bloggers who are headlining the event, and they post their updates every Wednesday, beginning today {you can find all of their room design plans here}.


Because Linda is just the coolest, she also opens up the ORC to other design bloggers who wish to be participate by hosting a linking event. Just like the headlining ORC designers, the ORC Guest Participants completely makeover a room in just six weeks time, and share their progress via weekly update posts every Thursday.

In the spring, there were over 80 blogs who joined in the ORC as Guest Participants, including yours truly. It was an absolutely amazing experience! Not only did it totally kick my butt into gear and motivate me to get my son's room done, it also introduced me to some super talented new friends and helped me gain some fabulous exposure for my blog. And that's why I'm up for the challenge again this fall!

We've been living in our home for six years this month, and throughout that time we've made major progress on nearly every room of our house - except our master bedroom. Isn't that always the way it goes? We always put our own space last. But that's all about to change thanks to the ORC. This fall, our room will finally get the attention it deserves!

You'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what I have planned for our master bedroom, but for today, what better way to explain what the ORC is all about then to give you an overview of the Spring ORC process?!

SPRING 2014 ONE ROOM CHALLENGE: WEEK 1
In Week 1, I shared the mood board and plans for my toddler son's Vintage Preppy Little Man's Lounge.

SPRING 2014 ONE ROOM CHALLENGE: WEEK 2
During Week 2, we were painting everything in sight, from furniture to picture frames, and even a globe.
SPRING 2014 ONE ROOM CHALLENGE: WEEK 3
Week 3 of the ORC was when I finally started to tackle the biggest and most intimidating project I had planned - the argyle wall. I spent the week measuring, picking paint colors, and coming up with a detailed plan. I put together this detailed rendering to ensure that the size of the diamond and the color placement was right before putting any paint on the wall.


SPRING 2014 ONE ROOM CHALLENGE: WEEK 4
Week 4 of the ORC was the BIG week for me. It was the week that I finally painted the argyle wall that I had been thinking about for nearly a year. If it weren't for the deadline imposed by the ORC, I would have probably continued procrastinating for another year.


SPRING 2014 ONE ROOM CHALLENGE: WEEK 5
During Week 5 of the ORC, the details finally started to come together. For my son's room, the details included lots of menswear elements, like belts and ties!


SPRING 2014 ONE ROOM CHALLENGE: WEEK 6
Week 6 is the BIG week in the ORC - reveal week! It came down to the wire, but I managed to complete all of the items on my list in just six weeks time, and my son loves his new big boy room!


Ok, so now that you know what the ORC is all about, I'm sure you are as excited as I am! Come back tomorrow to see what I have planned for our master bedroom, and then come back each Thursday to see my progress leading up to the final room reveal on Thursday, November 6th!


Labels: