{family} An Anniversary Flashback to Our Black, White & Blue Wedding

Today Scott and I are celebrating our seven year anniversary! I just returned from the Haven conference, and I should be unpacking and doing laundry, but instead I've been looking back at the photos from our wedding day and reminiscing! And since I love to see other people's wedding photos, I thought maybe you would like to see some of my favorite photos from our big day! {All photos by BLF Photography}

Right after we got engaged, we began looking for wedding venues. We both love the city, and wanted a venue that reflected our style - modern with touches of industrial. We found exactly what we were looking for at Mile High Station, an event space in what was once the Midwest Steel and Ironworks building where, during the early 1900's, large ship parts were built for the Navy.  Mile High Station features beautiful red brick walls, exposed steel I-beam supports, and custom industrial-style chandeliers.  


Scott and I knew from the start that we wanted the majority of the wedding to black and white, with a few touches of blue, our favorite color. We even carried that color theme through to our engagement photos. We each wore a bit of blue in every photo, and then I used Photoshop to convert the photos to black and white and layered back in the blue clothing and our blue eyes. We displayed many of the engagement photos in silver frames as part of the centerpieces at the wedding.


We also used and black, white and blue engagement photo layered on top of our wedding invitation and secured it in place with a blue ribbon, which, when removed, revealed the text of the invite. {Click here to read how I later framed our invitation in a double-sided frame.}


On the day of the wedding, my girls and I got ready at a hotel in downtown Denver and then took some photos in front of the columns of the Federal Courthouse.


Scott and his groomsmen were also let loose on the city for some pre-wedding photos.



Then it was time for the big event! We had both the ceremony and the reception at Mile High Station beneath the giant, industrial chandeliers.


We had the cutest flower girl and twin ring bearers!


After the Scott and the wedding party made their way down the aisle to Pachelbel's Canon, my dad walked me down the aisle.


The wedding was officiated by one of my favorite law school professors who is a judge. He gave some wonderful words of marraige advice, and then Scott and I exchanged the vows that we had written together. {Click here to see how I overlaid our vows onto one of our ceremony photos as a first anniversary gift.}



We loved the simple, industrial style of Mile High Station, so we opted to keep the ceremony decorations to a minimum, but we did have a customized aisle runner with our names and our wedding date, which I ordered from Aisles with Style. {Click here to see how I turned this aisle runner into a pillow after the wedding}.



After the ceremony, our guest enjoyed cocktails and appetizers on the second level, while we took our formal portraits.



I could show you endless family photos, but instead I'll just share my very favorite one!


Then the wedding party joined us for a few more photos.





We took time for a quick toast with the wedding party before joining our guests for the reception.



Scott and I made our entrance at the reception as husband and wife, and then it was time to party!


Since Scott is a musician, having a live band was very important to him, and it had to have horns! Tina Marx and the Millionaires were amazing!


Scott even sang one song with the band, serenading me with "It Had to Be You"!


We enjoyed a delicious dinner catered by Gourmet Fine Catering. After dinner, it was time for the toasts.





We danced our first dance to "Wink and a Smile," and then the wedding party joined us on the dance floor.



Of course, I also had the traditional father/daughter dance with my dad. We danced to "What a Wonderful World."


Scott and I even carried the black and white theme through to our cake, which featured four different flavors from the always amazing Das Meyer.



The rest of the night was a blur of dancing!




When the reception came to an end, Scott and I made our exit in my dad's blue convertible Thunderbird.



This final photo was the start of a photo tradition that Scott and I have continued ever since, but I'll share more about that in a future post.


If you love all things wedding, here are links to my previous wedding and honeymoon related posts:


Thanks for taking a stroll down memory lane with me! I love looking at wedding photos, mine and everyone else's, so for all my blogger friends out there - if you've posted about your wedding, send me a link so I can indulge in some more!!

Labels: ,