{shop the room} Menswear Inspired Boy's Room Source List

Thank you all SO much for your very kind words on my One Room Challenge reveal last week! I have been overwhelmed by the response, and have so appreciated each and every comment! Best of all, Beckett is loving his new bedroom! He started sleeping in there over the weekend, and the transition has been very smooth.

As promised, I am back today to share all of the sources for the room. If you are simply looking for photos of the room, you'll find better pictures in the room reveal here - but if you are looking for details like the paint colors, and where I purchased furniture and accessories, this is the post for you. For the DIYs and handmade items, tutorials will be coming soon, and I'll update this post to add those links as they are available! If I've left something off of the list or you have any questions, feel free to leave me a question in the comments section.


Ok, let's get started with the paint colors. Since this room has a whopping 7 paint colors, I thought it would be easiest to give you the color names in context. And if you missed the tutorial on how to paint an argyle wall, you can find that here.



Light Blue: Benjamin Moore Soft Jazz (809); Brown: Benjamin Moore Chocolate Candy Brown (2107-10); Beige: Kwal Accu Pro CL-2864M; Dark Blue: Benjamin Moore Symphony Blue (2060-10); Yellow: Benjamin Moore Yellow (2022-10) {yep, that's the whole name}; Dark Grey: Kwal AccuTone CL-3236A; Light Grey: Glidden Granite Grey

Ok, now let's work our way around the room, starting with the crib and tent wall.


{1} Airplane Hooks from Urban Outfitters - I installed 20 of these metal hooks to create a display that serves both art and function. These hooks, which are available online only, have a rustic, metallic finish that works well with the vintage vibe of the room. My only complaint is that Urban Outfitters won't allow you to order more than 10 of item at one time, so I was forced to place two separate orders in order to get 20 hooks. I even tried to place my order over the phone, rather than online, but they still couldn't process it as one order. It was a challenge to hang all of these hooks in level rows and columns because each hook requires two screws to install, but we came up with a quick and easy method that I'll share soon.

{2} Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Convertible Crib in Espresso - This crib/toddler bed has the look of more expensive modern cribs, but at a reasonable price, especially given that it comes with toddler rail, which often has to be purchased separately with other models. I selected the Espresso, but it also comes in white, grey, and combo of white and espresso. I purchased the bed online from Layla Grayce, but it appears that they are no longer carrying it. It is still available online from My Urban Child. We have another Babyletto brand crib in our nursery (the Babyletto Modo), and we've been very happy with it for the last 2.5 years.

{3} The herringbone fitted crib sheet is Dwell Studio (purchased from Amazon), and it is a perfect compliment to the herringbone linen duvet cover I purchased on Etsy from Lovely Home Idea. I selected the twin sized duvet, which is a bit large for the toddler bed, but will allow us to later transition Beckett to a twin bed without the need to purchase a new comforter. Lovely Home Idea sells this duvet cover in a variety of sizes and colors, and also sells coordinating items, including sheets, pillows, and drapes.


{4} Play Tent with Neck Tie Roof - The play tent in the corner of the room was handmade by my mom, and you'll find the full tutorial here. I purchased the blue pinstriped tent fabric from Colorado Fabrics, and collected the ties from a variety of sources. Each man in our family provided me with a tie for the top of the tent, and the remainder of the ties I purchased for $1-2 each from Goodwill, ARC, and Savers. I found Savers to have the largest inventory of ties.


{5} Layla Picture Frames - 16 x 20 frames with 11 x 14 white mats from Aaron Brothers.

{6} Enchanted Home Pet Sexy Lounger - These adorable button tufted chairs are the ideal size for a toddler, but are actually dog beds called "Enchanted Home Pet Sexy Loungers." I originally spotted these chairs at HomeGoods, but by the time I decided to purchase them they were gone, so I found and purchased them at Amazon. It appears that Amazon is no longer carrying them, but they are still available via Overstock. You can also find them at a variety of speciality pet stores online, but the price is double that on Overstock.

{7} Bombay Herringbone Trunk Table - I found this herringbone trunk with leather trim on clearance at my local Bed Bath & Beyond. As of today, it is out of stock online, but is still available in a number of store locations. The trunk provides tons of storage space, and the hinges hold the lid open, which protects little fingers.



{8} Houndstooth Rug from Pottery Barn - This tone on tone blue houndstooth rug comes in multiple sizes, but mine is 5 x 8. As of the date of this post, this rug is on clearance, so you're in luck!

{9} You Say Coffee, I Say Play Table from The Land of Nod - I looked at a lot of play table options, but this one was the clear winner because it's coffee table appearance fit so well with the sophisticated style of the chairs, and the feeling of a library that I was after. But despite it's "classy" appearance, this table is ideal for a kids room because there are no sharp corners and two large storage drawers to hold lots of trains and toys. This was not the cheapest of the play tables on the market, but it will be able to grow with my boys. I have grand plans to create a hang out room for them and their friends when they are older, and this coffee table will be perfect for that space someday.


{10} Silver Airplanes - I purchased these silver airplanes, as well as the two silver cars in the room, from Pottery Barn more than 5 years ago. Unfortunately they are no longer available, but I have seen similar ones at Pier One and HomeGoods.

{11} Airport View Poster - I purchased this vintage-styled Denver International Airport travel poster from AllPosters. It not only fits well with the silver airplanes, but also has added meaning because my Beckett's grandpa (my father-in-law) works at the airport.

{12} Chalkboard Globe - This was a DIY project, using an old globe, latex paint, and clear chalkboard paint. Click here for the full tutorial.

{13} Illuminated World Globe Lamp - This lamp is the best of both worlds because it is an accurate and detailed globe that is also a lamp. It provides just the perfect glow to serve as a night light in the room.


{14} Belt Shelves - These were a DIY project, and you can find the full tutorial here. The silver car on the shelf was purchased from Pottery Barn years ago, and is no longer available.

{15} Stellanova Mini Star Globe - I wanted a small star globe to pair with the Beckett's autographed astronaut photo, but it was difficult to find one that didn't plug in. This 4 inch mini globe was just the right size, and will be educational when Beckett is older because it labels all of the constellations.

{16} Picture Frames - Both of the picture frames on these shelves were recently purchased at Target.


{17} Vintage Industrial Letters - These letters are my DIY knock-off version of the vintage industrial letters sold at Restoration Hardware Baby & Child. You can find the tutorial for making these letters here.

{18} Desktop Calendar - I purchased this calendar at Target (Room Essentials brand) a couple of months ago. I can't find the calendar on the Target website, but it may still be available in stores. To "dress up" the white metal calendar stand, I affixed a pre-tied bow tie, which I purchased from Amazon. The picture frames are from Target, CostPlus World Market, and Aaron Brothers.

{19} Typewriter Alphabet Flashcards - This was a super easy DIY project. I purchased typewriter key clipart for $5 from CanStockPhoto, resized each key to a 3 inch diameter, cut them out and strung them together on brown and white bakers twine.


{20} Ikea Expedit Bookshelves - I purchased two Expedit bookshelf units (each 2 x 4 in black brown) just days before it was announced that Ikea would be discontinuing its Expedit series. Ikea has since replaced the Expedit with a new cubical bookshelf called the Kallax, and I believe the dimensions of the cubical openings in the Kallax are the same as the Expedit.

{21} Marche Basket from The Container Store  with Leather Label- I added a DIY leather label to this wire basket, which we are using to keep our library books separate from the other books on Beckett's shelves.

{22} Threshold Storage Bins with DIY Numbers - These grey Threshold storage bins from Target are the exact right size to fit in the cubicles of the Expedit bookshelf. The numbers on the bins were a DIY addition, and you'll find the tutorial here.

{23} Classic Bun Feet - To give the Expedit bookshelves a more formal feel, I purchased 4 inch classic bun feet from Lowe's, and for a youthful look, I painted them Benjamin Moore Yellow before installing them. Click here for a simple tutorial.


{24} Menswear Dog Art - I DIYed this art by cutting out images of Menswear Dog from a calendar I purchased on Amazon.

{25} License Plate Map - This was another DIY project. I was able to create the look of an original high end license plate map at a fraction of the cost ($140 v. $3,900). Click here for the full tutorial.

{26} Denver Art Print - I purchased this awesome art print of Denver from Albie Designs' shop on Etsy. They have similar prints for many cities around the world.

{27} Harvest Basket - This rustic, silver metal Harvest Basket from The Container Store is just the right size to hold all of the records that I'm passing down to Beckett.

{28} Twin Bell Alarm Clock - I purchased the Present Time Karlsson Large Twin Bell Alarm Clock with Nude Numbers from Amazon.

{29} Rivet Lamp and Belted Lamp Shade - The brass riveted lamp base is from the Nate Berkus collection for Target (discontinued). I purchased a navy blue lamp shade and added a belt to tie in with the menswear theme. Click here for the lampshade tutorial.

{30} Ikea Hemnes 8-Drawer Dresser with Chalk Painted Drawers - I selected the Hemnes dresser from Ikea because it's a great value and provides lots of storage space. I painted each drawer front gray using chalk paint {you'll find my chalk paint tutorial here}, and then added custom leather blet drawer pulls.

{31} DIY Leather Drawer Pulls - One of my favorite DIYs in the room are these drawer pulls.Click here for the full tutorial.

We've also added a few new items to this room that you might be interested in:


Denim Pocket Organizers

Debonair Dog Bowtie Coasters

Pant Hanger Art Display

Hopefully this post has answered any questions you had about the items in this room. If I didn't address something that you are curious about, just leave me a comment and I'll get right back to you.

LINKS TO ALL OF THE PROJECTS FEATURED IN THIS ROOM:



Labels: , , , , ,