{One Room Challenge} Week 2 - A Whole Lotta Painting Going On

For those who missed my announcement last week, I am a joining in the One Room Challenge as a link participant! That means that I have only 6 weeks to complete Beckett's big boy room... well, it's not six weeks anymore, because here we are already at week 2!

Last week I shared all of my plans for the room, including the mood board and the long to do list, and this week I'm back to share a report on our progress.

It's no exaggeration to say that the only thing I've been doing for the last week is painting. And I haven't even started painting the room or the argyle feature wall yet, so you'll probably be getting another painting update next week as well.
None of this looks like much on it's own, so next week I'm hoping to be able to show you how some of these paint projects contribute to the overall room, but for now, here's a quick run down of what I've been painting.

I started by painting the drawers for the new Ikea Hemnes dresser. I've never painted furniture before, so I've had fun trying out the Americana Decor Chalky Paint and Creme Wax (this is a new-ish alternative to the Annie Sloan brand of chalk paint). I had some trouble with brush strokes showing up too much at first, but I got that figured out and I'm happy with the result. I'll do a full review and tutorial of the Chalky Paint once the dresser is reassembled and photo ready.  Next up, we'll be finishing the dresser assembly and adding custom leather handles to the drawers.

We purchased two Ikea Expedit bookshelves for the room {literally days before they announced that the Expedit will be no more}, but I wanted to dress them up a bit to better fit the vintage preppy theme of the room. I decided to add some bun feet to the bookshelves, and painted them in a bright yellow for an unexpected pop of color.

I have a slight obsession with maps and globes {which I chatted about here}, so I've been wanting to paint a chalkboard globe for as long as I can remember. I just finished up the first coat of blue on the water, and I think one more coat will be enough for good coverage. Next up I'll be painting the continents gray, and then adding a fun detail. You might notice in the picture that I'm painting with regular latex paint and not chalkboard paint... but in the end this will be a chalkboard globe! I'll share all the details as soon as it is finished.

The same blue paint that I'm using on the globe also found it's way onto a large picture frame, and I still have several smaller picture frames to paint as well.

Like I said, a lot of painting going on, but not a lot of completed projects to show off yet. But I do have one project that is complete, and I'm SO excited about how it turned out!

I used these paper mache initials from Hobby Lobby to create a super cost-effective knock off of the Restoration Hardware Vintage Industrial Letters that I included in the mood board for Beckett's new room. You can read the full post and tutorial here, but let me just show you how great they turned out.

Not bad for the price, right?!

So that's what I've accomplished this past week. It may not look like much yet, but things will start coming together once we get the painted drawers assembled into the dresser, and once the feet are installed on the bookshelf.  This weekend we'll be painting the room, and then after that I'm going to finally get started on the argyle feature wall {keep your fingers crossed for me!}. I should also have the chalkboard globe completed by next week, and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

You can find all of my past One Room Challenge posts here:

FALL 2014 ONE ROOM CHALLENGE: Modern Metro Master Bedroom

SPRING 2014 ONE ROOM CHALLENGE: Vintage Preppy Little Man's Lounge

Labels: , , , , , , ,