{style inspiration} Making Marsala Modern: Learning to Love the 2015 Pantone Color of the Year

I'll admit that when I first saw Pantone's pick for the 2015 Color of the Year, I was disappointed! My style is very modern and I tend to prefer cool colors for the majority of my home, with pops of brighter colors here and there. My first reaction was that Marsala and modern JUST. DON'T. MIX!   

In fact, I have had a Marsala colored chair and a pair of lamps in my home office for about 10 years, and for a while now I've been wanting to redo that room and reupholster the chair because it was feeling dated and out of place in our home. 

Once I saw Pantone's selection, however, I decided to take a step back and consider whether I could instead make those Marsala pieces fit my modern style if I simply changed the colors I had them paired with. So I spent a few hours on the Houzz website searching for some inspiration of Marsala being used in modern design, and I was surprised by what I found! 


I know I was not alone in thinking that modern and Marsala don't go together, so I decided to share some of my favorite photos from Houzz to prove that the Pantone Color of the Year can actually be a great addition to modern decor!

Some of these rooms are extremely modern, while others are a bit more transitional style, but everyone of them appeals to my design eye. I found the color being used in lots of different ways - from subtle accents to bold statements, and while I can't imagine I'll be painting a wall or tiling my bathroom in this color any time soon, the photos I've selected do inspire me to give Marsala a second chance in my home office.

One final note before I show you the pretty pictures: not every one of these photos is an exact match for Marsala - some are a bit more redish and some are a tad more purplish, but all are in a similar color family.

Without further ado, I present MAKING MARSALA MODERN...


...PAIRED WITH BLACK & WHITE


Contemporary Family Room by Atlanta Interior Designers & Decorators Dillard Pierce Design Associates

Transitional Living Room by Boston Interior Designers & Decorators Rachel Reider Interiors

Contemporary Family Room by Boston Architects & Building Designers Ruhl Walker Architects


...IN THE DINING ROOM

Transitional Dining Room by Los Angeles Architects & Building Designers Tim Barber LTD Architecture & Interior Design


...ON AN INDUSTRIAL LIGHT FIXTURE

Industrial Living Room by New York Architects & Building Designers Ira Frazin Architect


...IN SMALL ACCESSORIES

Modern Living Room by San Francisco Architects & Building Designers De Meza + Architecture

Modern Living Room by Minneapolis Photographers Spacecrafting / Architectural Photography


...AS LARGE ARTWORK

Modern Living Room

...AS SMALL ARTWORK

Modern Bathroom by London Home Builders MDSX Contractors Ltd

...WITH DARK WALLS

Transitional Family Room by Santa Monica Interior Designers & Decorators Artistic Environments, Inc.

...IN A LOUNGE

Industrial Family Room by Denver Interior Designers & Decorators Studio D - Danielle Wallinger


...ON THE CEILING

Eclectic Living Room by Traverse City Architects & Building Designers Lankford Design Group

...ON THE FLOOR

Modern Kitchen by Olympia General Contractors Bicycle Homebuilding Company


...ON KITCHEN CABINETS

Modern Kitchen by Seattle Interior Designers & Decorators Elegant Simplicity Interiors, LLC

...ON A BACKSPLASH

Contemporary Kitchen by Denver Kitchen & Bath Designers Angela Otten; WmOhs Showrooms Inc


...INSIDE CABINETS OR BOOKCASES

Modern Kitchen by Mill Valley Architects & Building Designers Sharon Portnoy Design


...ON SHELVES

Contemporary Bedroom by Sacramento Interior Designers & Decorators Katie Denham Interiors


...ON THE COUCH

Modern Living Room

...ON A CHAIR

Modern Family Room by La Jolla Architects & Building Designers m.a.p. interiors inc. / Sylvia Beez


...ON THE OTTOMAN

Modern Living Room by Longmeadow Window Treatments Lisa Scheff Designs


...ON A LAMP & PILLOWS

Modern Living Room by Lake Oswego Interior Designers & Decorators Jenny Baines, Jennifer Baines Interiors


...PAIRED WITH NAVY BLUE

Contemporary Living Room by Toronto Home Builders HUSH

...IN A BRIGHT HOME OFFICE

Contemporary Home Office by Chicago Interior Designers & Decorators Jessica Lagrange Interiors


...THROUGHOUT A GREAT ROOM

Contemporary Dining Room by New York Interior Designers & Decorators valerie pasquiou interiors + design, inc


...IN A RUSTIC MODERN SPACE


Rustic Living Room by Gaylordsville Architects & Building Designers Callaway Architects, LLC

Contemporary Dining Room by Eugene General Contractors Jordan Iverson Signature Homes


...ON THE FRONT DOOR

Modern Exterior by Melbourne Building Designers and Drafters Design Unity

...ON THE PATIO

Modern Landscape by Sausalito Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers Shades Of Green Landscape Architecture


...IN A TEEN BOY'S ROOM

Modern Kids by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Matthew MacCaul Turner

Contemporary Bedroom by Scottsdale General Contractors Meritage Homes


...IN A TEEN GIRLS ROOM

Contemporary Bedroom by Washington Interior Designers & Decorators Supon Phornirunlit / Naked Decor


...IN THE BATHROOM

Contemporary Bathroom by Melbourne Photographers Michelle Williams Photography

Modern Bathroom by Costa Mesa Tile, Stone & Countertops Famosa - The Surface Studio

...ON THE WINDOWS

Modern Living Room by Houston Interior Designers & Decorators The Design Firm

Eclectic Bedroom by Miami Beach Interior Designers & Decorators Kenneth/Davis, Inc.


...AS AN ACCENT TO GRAY

Modern Living Room by New York Interior Designers & Decorators moment design + productions, llc


...AS AN ACCENT TO BLUE GRAY

Contemporary Family Room by Birmingham Interior Designers & Decorators Jeffrey King Interiors


....AS A COMPLIMENT TO TURQUOISE

Modern Kitchen by Seattle Architects & Building Designers BAAN design


...ON A FEATURE WALL


Modern Entry by Miami Interior Designers & Decorators Pepe Calderin Design- Modern Interior Design

Modern Living Room by Surrey Design-Build Firms My House Design Build Team

Now I want to hear what you think! Do you love Marsala, or love to hate it? Can you picture it in your home? Do any of these photos inspire you to see the color differently?


Labels: , , , ,