{seasonal style} Halloween Home Tour

The countdown to Halloween is on, and today I'm opening our doors and inviting you in to see how we decorate for the holiday!

Modern Halloween Home Tour

If you are like me, and you love getting a peek in other people's homes, then you are in luck, because there are 14 other talented and stylish bloggers who are also sharing their Halloween Home Tours today! You'll find links to each of those at the bottom of this post!



But before you hop over to any of the other tours, let me show you around my place!

Not a lot of decorations on our front porch this year, but there are a couple of ghosts staked into the ground along the side of our front steps to set the mood. And I love the way the orange shades of the sunset reflect in our frosted glass front doors in the early evening - it creates quite the Halloween-y glow.


I had originally planned to make a couple of Halloween wreaths, but decided to just leave up the peacock feather wreaths that I hung earlier in the fall. During the day, they are vibrant shades of blue and teal, but at night they appear nearly black and look quite appropriate for Halloween.


As soon as you enter the through the front doors, you'll find our entry table. While shopping at Ikea this week for my One Room Challenge space, I found this fun cobweb light set. I love the way it looks stretched across the modern painting above the entry table.


My boys are particularly fond of the cobweb lights, but two words of warning: (1) as an Ikea holiday light newbie, I didn't realize that I had to buy the AC adapter separately, which meant that hubby had to make another trip to Ikea to pick up the adapter for me; (2) if you think untangling a strand of holiday lights is a challenge, imagine untangling a web of lights...and once they are untangled, hanging these lights is definitely a two person job to avoid immediate retangling.


I added a giant spider that I picked up at our local party supply store.


The fillable lamp on the entry table is a relatively new addition. For my fall decor, I filled the lamp base with wine corks {and I'll put the corks back in for the Thanksgiving season}, but for Halloween I wrapped the outside in cobwebs and added a few black, plastic spider rings. You'll see that the cobweb theme of this year's decor continues throughout the main floor.



My favorite part of the entry table display, however, is the row of white Jack O'Lanterns.



Modern Halloween Home Tour

These are faux, foam pumpkins that are easy {but messy} to carve. For months I have envisioned white Jack O'Lanterns with bright pops of color on the inside, and now that they are a reality - I love the way they turned out!


I'll be sharing the tutorial for these fun Jack O'Lanterns next week, so be sure to come back for that! {You can even sign up for emails at the top of the sidebar on the right to make sure you never miss a post!} UPDATE: Peek-a-Book Jack O'Lantern Tutorial AND see how I turned these pumpkins around to create Thanksgiving decor!


The entry way is open to our living room. For the fall, I swapped out our pillows to oranges and yellows, and added some other pops of these colors throughout the space. Since these colors are also fitting for Halloween, the living room decor hasn't changed since my Fall Home Tour. I'll show you a few pictures of the living room, but encourage you to take the full Fall Home Tour if you want to see more!



The Pumpkin Tic Tac Toe that I created remains a bit hit with my boys!


Around the corner from the entry, you come to the kitchen, passing the powder room along the way. In the past, I have never decorated this powder room for the holidays, but this year I just couldn't resist.

Modern Halloween Home Tour

My mom made me that tissue box holder years ago when plastic canvas was the crafting rage - but it still fits perfectly with my decor! And the cobwebs and spider on the mirror are window clings that I purchased at Target this year. You'll see more of these clings as the tour continues.


As soon as you enter the kitchen, you see a pennant banner hanging in front of the the stacked stone of our kitchen fireplace.

Modern Halloween Home Tour


The pennants of this banner are made from chalkboard fabric. I simply wrote on them with a bistro chalk marker, and hung the pennants with some orange twine. My mom made these reusable chalkboard pennants for me, and I'll be sharing the simple tutorial later on! [UPDATE: Chalkboard Pennant Banner Tutorial]



During my trip to Ikea this past week, I also finally purchased the black and white blanket that I've been wanting. I have a feeling this blanket will be making appearances in just about ever room of our home over time, but for now it looks great in the kitchen sitting area paired with a simple white pumpkin.




On the kitchen table, I grouped three cobweb placemats together to create a table runner.

Modern Halloween Home Tour

The sideboard in the kitchen is one of my favorite places to decorate for holidays.




I printed a creepy bottle label with a skull onto to a sheet of window cling decal paper, and stuck it to a glass decanter. I grouped it together with two other bottles from our collection that had a bit of an old fashioned look to create a simple Halloween bar display.


By displaying these bottles in front of a framed piece of Halloween scrapbook paper, they have much more presence!

Modern Halloween Home Tour

As I often do for holidays, I took advantage of our long, think kitchen window, as well as the space below it, by adding a few more Halloween decorations. In the window I hung three glow in the dark ghosts, and below the window I hung an inexpensive tissue paper skeleton garland that I recently picked up at Target.

Modern Halloween Home Tour 


I couldn't resist adding a little something to the chalkboard wall, as well. I drew in a quick spider web at the top of the wall, but left Beckett's artwork displayed at the bottom.

Modern Halloween Home Tour


A few weeks ago I made some simple and reusable drinking glass clings to temporarily turn our regular glasses into Jack O'Lantern glasses for the holiday. It's so much fun to entertain with these glasses.


I am really happy with the way the kitchen decor came together, but it's especially fun at night when all of the candles are lit!









Even after using the spider and spider web clings in the bathroom and on the wall above the kitchen sideboard, I still had quite a few extras, so I decided to add a little something I knew my boys would appreciate ... spiders leading the way up to their bedrooms.


It turns out that beige carpeted stairs don't make a very interesting photograph, but you get the idea. Beckett got so excited when he saw this!


One last spot in the house that I want to show you before wrapping up this tour is the basement. Since the basement is decorated in orange, grey and white, it lends itself perfectly to Halloween decor. 


These Mason Jar Jack O'Lanterns that I made last year are one of my all time favorite projects, and I think they look perfect sitting on the mantle in front of that orange accent wall!


And they are their absolute best when they are lit up and glowing from the inside!


Thanks for taking the time to tour our Halloween decor! Next up, head over to each of these other fabulous homes to see how they are decked out for the holiday!

Clockwise from Top Left:
Place of My Taste / The Happy Housie / Little House of Four / Southern State of Mind / View From the Fridge / Persia Lou / Town and Country Living / Three Little Greenwoods / My Creative Days / House by Hoff / Blue i Style {you are here} / Tiny Sidekick / The Dolen Diaries / Everyday Enchanting / Chic California

If you enjoy home tours, then you may want to take our Fall Home Tour {where you will also find links to tour the fall homes of more than 35 other bloggers}!  And if you'd like to see what our home looks like when it's not dressed up the holidays, you can also take our regular home tour, which includes all of the bedrooms.

Looking for even more seasonal inspiration?! You might be interested in these fall and Halloween projects:


Labels: , , , ,