{travel} Labor Day Weekend in Breckenridge

I'm very much a city girl, so sometimes I am jealous of people who live on the East Coast with so many great cities within a short drive or train ride away.  I'd love to be able to take a train to NYC or Boston for a weekend getaway.  But then I look out the window at the Rocky Mountains and realize we don't have it so bad in Denver!  Just an hour (or two or three) from our house we can be in any number of fantastic mountain towns... Vail, Steamboat Springs, Aspen... or my favorite Breckenridge.



In addition to the beautiful peaks surrounding the town, Main Street in Breckenridge is the largest historic district in Colorado, with so many fun shops and restaurants.

 
We've always loved visiting Breckenridge, but we are especially lucky because a couple of years ago my parents built a vacation home right in town.  So now we get to spend even more time in this gorgeous place.
 
 
 
Breckenridge is a great destination year round, but I especially love the times of year when it is warm during the days with cool, crisp evenings.  That makes Labor Day weekend a perfect time!
 
 
Beckett has already spent a lot of time in Breckenridge, but we hadn't been up all summer since Cooper was born.  Because of the high altitude, we were advised by our pediatrician to not take babies to the mountains until they are a couple of months old, which allows their lungs to mature before being exposed to the thin mountain air.  So now that Cooper is finally old enough, we are introducing him to Breckenridge!
 
 
Cooper is not yet enjoying Breckenridge quite as much as his big brother, but I know that before long they'll both be running around and having fun together!
 
 
Spending some time in the mountains is also allowing me to get ready launch a new feature on the blog that I'm calling {mom's style}!  My mom and I both love to decorate, but we have very different styles.  You won't find much in the way of earth tones in my home, as I tend toward a mix of modern and contemporary design with a lot of bright color. My mom's style, on the other hand, features a lot of earth tones with carefully selected pops of color.  I love spending time in the spaces my mom has designed because they are very stylish while being very comfortable and inviting.  This is true of my parents' home in Denver, as well as their house in Breckenridge.  So while I've been in Breck, I've been taking lots of photos and next week I'll be sharing with you my mom's rustic chic powder room.  Here's a quick sneak peek:
 
 
Come back after the holiday for the first installment of {mom's style}!  In the meantime, have a wonderful and safe Labor Day Weekend!
 

Labels: , ,